To get a criminal record (criminal conviction history) for someone else, you’ll need the other person’s signed agreement. To do this, both you (the third party) and the other person must fill in different parts of this form:

Request criminal convictions history – third party form [PDF, 264 KB]

You’ll also need to send a copy of the person’s valid identification (ID).

How to fill in this form

Read our tips to avoid delays

You can also read our guide to help you fill out the form:

Guide to filling in the request criminal convictions history – third party form [PDF, 621 KB]

You can either:

  • fill in the form electronically (type in the details) then print it and sign it or
  • print out the form then fill it in by hand, using blue or black pen, and sign it.

In both cases you must sign a printed copy.

Provide a copy of the person’s ID

We use the copy of the person’s ID to check that the right person has filled in the form. Their ID must:

  • be a clear and readable copy
  • exactly match the details in the form - write the person’s name on the form exactly as it appears on their ID
  • not be defaced.

You must use one of the following:

  • their New Zealand driver licence. This can be current or expired within the last 2 years, but must not be cancelled or a temporary licence
  • their New Zealand passport. This must be signed and can be current or expired within the last 2 years, but must not be cancelled
  • their overseas passport - this must be signed and current
  • their New Zealand firearms licence - this must be current.

If the person doesn’t have any of these, they’ll need to ask someone to confirm their identity. They do this by filling in step 5 on the form.

Send the form and copy of the ID

You can mail the form and ID to:

Postal address:
Criminal Records Unit
Ministry of Justice

Write the address as written above and send it the same way as any other mail. You can use an NZ Post mail box. If you use a DX mail box your mail will get to us faster(external link)

Cost of getting someone else’s record

It’s free.

When you’ll receive the record

We aim to process your request within 20 working days (about 4 weeks). This is from the date we receive your form. It doesn’t include mail delivery time.

Please wait until 20 working days after you have sent the request to call us if you have not received it.

If you asked us to return your record by post, you should include mail delivery time.

Use this calculator to work out when you can expect your record

This calculates the maximum time limit within which a response must be sent.

Tips to avoid delays

  • read the user guide
  • write clearly - if we can’t read your form we can’t process it
  • sign the form - in the signature box with the red X
  • follow all the instructions in the guide sections of the form
  • check it’s correct before you send it
  • send it within 6 months.

If your completed form is dated 6 months ago or earlier we won’t process it. You will need to fill in a new form. This is also the case if you change the date after you first fill in the form.

This page was last updated: