Get your own criminal record from outside New Zealand

If you’re overseas and need your criminal record (criminal conviction history) you must fill in and send us this form:

Get your criminal conviction history from outside of New Zealand form [PDF, 253 KB]

You must also send us a copy of your valid identification (ID).

You can’t request your record over the phone or without the form.

How to fill in this form

You can either:

  • fill in the form electronically (type in the details) then print it and sign it or
  • print out the form then fill it in by hand, using blue or black pen, and sign it.

In both cases you must sign a printed copy.

Providing a copy of your ID

We use the copy of your ID to check that the right person has filled in the form. Your ID must:

  • be a clear and readable copy
  • exactly match the details in your form - write your name on the form exactly as it is on your ID
  • not be defaced.

You must use one of the following:

  • your New Zealand driver licence. This can be current or expired within the last 2 years, but must not be cancelled or a temporary licence.
  • your New Zealand passport. This must be signed and can be current or expired within the last 2 years, but must not be cancelled.
  • your overseas passport. This must be signed and current.
  • your New Zealand firearms licence. This must be current.

Sending your form and copy of your ID

Mail your form and ID

You can mail your form and ID to us.

Postal Adress:
Criminal Records Unit
Ministry of Justice

Write the address as written above and send it the same way as any other mail. You can use an NZ Post mail box. If you use a DX mail box your mail will get to us faster(external link)

Email your form and ID

You can scan your form and ID and email them to us. You can send it as a: pdf, jpg, tif, png, doc or docx file.

Put only your first name and last name in the email subject line.


Cost of your record

It’s free.

When you’ll receive your record

We aim to process your request within 20 working days (about 4 weeks). This is from the date we receive your completed application. It doesn’t include mail delivery time.

Please wait until 20 working days after you have sent your request to call us about when you’ll receive it.

Tips to avoid delays

  • write clearly - if we can’t read your form we can’t process it
  • sign the form - in the signature box with the red X
  • follow all the instructions in the guide sections of the form
  • check it’s correct before you send it
  • send it within 6 months.

If your completed form is dated 6 months ago or earlier we won’t process it. You will need to fill in a new form. This is also the case if you change the date after you first fill in the form.

International courier

You can get your record sent to you by courier to an overseas address. To do this you’ll need to arrange the courier and pay their fee. You’ll need to pay the courier company directly, not the Ministry of Justice. You will also need to contact us first. This is so you can make sure your record is ready to be sent.

Ask for your full record

If you’re eligible for a clean slate, your record will automatically be concealed under the Clean Slate scheme. You can also ask for your full record. To do this, tick the box in step 3 of the form – ‘Full record of convictions’.

Find out more about the Clean Slate scheme and concealing convictions

Get an authenticated or Apostille-certified record

Some countries may ask for your record to be authenticated or Apostille-certified (confirmed as genuine). In this case you should send the record you get from us to the Department of Internal Affairs Apostille service.

Department of Internal Affairs Apostille service website(external link)

This page was last updated: