Civil Enforcement and COVID-19:

Civil Enforcement is not considered an essential service under the COVID-19 restrictions.

However, we understand that COVID-19 may have an impact on your ability to pay existing attachment orders, therefore we will continue to process applications to vary/suspend/cancel attachment orders during the shut-down.

Please email a scanned copy or photo of the application to We cannot guarantee that posted applications will be processed within the shutdown period.

All other applications are to be submitted as per usual process. These applications will not be processed until after the shutdown period.

About Civil Debt

When the court makes a decision about a private disagreement over money or property, it becomes a civil debt. The court decision is known as an order or judgment and tells one party (the debtor) that they must pay the other (the creditor).

Creditors can ask the court to help them collect the debt if the debtor does not pay. This is called civil enforcement. The creditor may have to pay fees; usually the fees can be added to the debt.

  • Collecting your debt: information for civil creditors

    You can ask the court to help you collect your civil debt if the debtor does not pay. This is called civil enforcement. You may have to pay fees.

  • Managing your debt: information for civil debtors

    The creditor can ask the court to take action against you to encourage you to pay your debt. This is called civil enforcement. Find out what the court can do and what your options are.

  • Civil enforcement fees

    Civil enforcement fees have to be paid when you file an application. To apply for enforcement against more than one debtor, the creditor must file an application form & pay fees for each debtor.

  • Civil enforcement forms

    Civil enforcement application forms for creditors, debtors and third parties.

  • Learn about taking a civil debt to court

    Civil enforcement happens after the court has made a civil order or judgment. If you have a disagreement about money and want to take someone to court, you can learn more on the courts and tribunals section of our website.

This page was last updated: